Naturopathic Medicine is a primary healthcare system that combines conventional medical diagnostics with natural therapies. It focuses on identifying the root cause of disease, while promoting healthy living and disease prevention.
Naturopathic medicine works by treating the whole person, and does so by utilizing a wide range of natural therapies or treatment modalities to support the body’s natural ability to heal itself. These modalities include Botanical medicine, Traditional Chinese medicine and acupuncture, Nutrition and lifestyle counselling, Physical medicine, and Homeopathy. Every individual case is considered unique and each treatment plan is therefore tailored to address the patient’s unique needs and personal health goals.
A typical visit with a Naturopathic Doctor will consist of an initial consultation which includes a thorough health history intake, followed by a discussion of current health concerns, goals and timelines, as well as aphysical examination if indicated. A follow-up visit may includethe appropriate lab testing toconfirm a diagnosis as well as an in-depth discussion of the future treatment plan. This could include a discussion of all treatment options such as nutritional and lifestyle counselling, as well as recommendations for botanical herbs or supplements and/or physical modalities such as acupuncture, chiropractic manipulation, or manual therapy.
Naturopathic treatment can be used on its own or in conjunction with conventional treatment. For this reason, it is often referred to as alternative medicine. If you’re wondering whether Naturopathic medicineis for everyone, the answer is yes!The number of visits may vary from one patient to another depending on their specific health concerns and status of their health. Some of the conditions that are often seen in practice include:
- Women’s health- Menstrual irregularities (including heavy, irregular, or painful periods), Hormonal imbalances (including PMS, Perimenopause and Menopause), Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS), Endometriosis, Fibroids, Fertility (including infertility, preconception care, prenatal, and postnatal care)
- Skin conditions- Acne, Rosacea, Eczema, Psoriasis, Alopecia (hair loss)
- Acute conditions-Allergies, cold, Flu, headache, infections (ears, nose, throat), strains/sprains
- Chronic conditions- high blood pressure, Diabetes, high cholesterol, Thyroid conditions, Arthritis, chronic back pain, heart disease, Autoimmune disease, obesity
- Digestive-Acid reflux, constipation/diarrhea, Inflammatory Bowel Disease (Crohn’s Disease or Ulcerative Colitis), Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Celiac Disease Food sensitivities and/or sensitivities
- Men’s health- Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH), Prostatitis, infertility
- Mental/emotional conditions- Anxiety, Depression, Stress, Autism Spectrum Disorder, Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), addictions (alcohol and smoking)
Naturopathic medicine is covered under most extended healthcare benefit plans.