Congratulations… You’re pregnant!! Pregnancy is a joyous occasion but can also come with mixed emotions. Many expecting mothers toss back and forth between the excitment of the baby to come and wondering if she can handle the rigors of labour. If you are struggling with the anxiety of becoming a mom but aren’t finding enough support, working with a Doula in Toronto, might be what you’re looking for.
What’s a Doula?
If you hear the word Doula in a conversation, then likely, it is related to pregnancy. Although doulas have been around for quite some time, they are often confused for a midwife. The word doula is derived from the ancient Greek word which means “woman who serves”. Nowadays, a doula is known as a birthing coach. A trained individual who provides emotional, physical and informational support to a mother-to-be. Furthermore, a doula could educate the pregnant mom’s partner and/or her family members. A doula offer support before, during and after the birthing process. Another words, a doula is a birth companion, someone who ensures a positive birth experience for the mother, her partner and the new baby.
Is a Doula the same as a Midwife?
No. A Doula differs from a midwife in that a Doula do not deliver babies. Furthermore, a doula does not perform medical exams or provide diagnoses. You might say, a Doula serves is a mentor and childbirth coach, while a Midwife is a medical professional.
How can a Doula help with your pregnancy?
- A Doula in Toronto, provides informational and educational support on the birthing process
- She help you create a birth plan that is true to your wishes and birth choice.
- A Doula in Toronto, addresses your fears or anxieties about becoming a mother
- Provides coaching during the labour process with various breathing techniques, birthing positions and other medication-free, self-soothing techniques
- The provide post-partum support for the mommy
- She helps provide breastfeeding guidance and advice on bonding
What are the Top Reasons to have a Doula assisted birth?
Having a Doula during pregnancy and labour has been found to be associated with:
- Reduced length of labour = LESS pain!
- Lowers risk of premature birth
- Lowers need for Induction
- Lower rates of C-sections
- Promotes an overall sense of support through the birth experience = Happy Mom, Happy BABY!
Do you want more information about how a Doula in Tornto can help with your pregnancy? You can call us at 647-931-8108 or use this contact us form.
Brightpath Health and Wellness is here to help! We are located conveniently at Yonge & Sheppard, in the heart of North York.